Monday, February 12, 2007

Coked-Up Puppies

My kids are like puppies when I turn the vacuum cleaner
on. They don’t bark at it and try to
attack it but they come pretty close. Apparently, the sound of the vacuum triggers the release of some type of
endorphin in their brain and they both immediately start running circles around
the table screaming. My son usually
runs around very quickly, jumping over the vacuum (sometimes successfully,
sometimes not so much) on every lap. He
laughs hysterically and screams sporadically. My daughter, upon hearing the vacuum, makes a b-line for her room and
her baby stroller. She tears around the
table, getting lapped by my son, pushing that stroller as fast as she can,
screaming and laughing giddily.





Vacuum
I’ve gotten so used to this behavior that it doesn’t even
faze me. In my life, screaming and
running are just a part of vacuuming the floor. I like to listen to loud, upbeat music while I clean so I
usually blast it loud enough that I can hear the songs over the vacuum and the
screams and laughter. I routinely vacuum
during the day and my husband is not a party to this activity so today, when he
walked into the kitchen with a “What the hell is going on in here?” look, I was
perplexed. Then I realized that it was
probably the combination of the vacuum, Bob Marley and two seemingly coked-up
kids that threw him for a loop. I’m
pretty sure that he felt like he was transported to a bad episode of “The
Osbournes” on his otherwise quiet Sunday afternoon. He immediately coaxed the kids out of the kitchen to let me
finish vacuuming. The silence (aside
from Bob Marley and the vacuum) felt eerie to me and I caught a glimpse of what
vacuuming the floor will be like in a few years when my kids get a little older
and don’t turn into coked-up puppies at the first roar of the Dirt Devil. Cleaning the house is going to be so boring.



5 comments:

  1. Aleita has her own little vaccuum that she loves to use when I vaccuum - - - she has also figured out that Dempsey is somewhat skittish around the vaccuum cleaner, so it amuses her to no end to chase him around the living room with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aleita has her own little vaccuum that she loves to use when I vaccuum - - - she has also figured out that Dempsey is somewhat skittish around the vaccuum cleaner, so it amuses her to no end to chase him around the living room with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's not just my kids! Good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Becky-
    I really need to invest in a vacuum for my kids. I know they'd love it. If only they made one that actually cleaned the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know as well, Melinda, that it's not just mine :)

    ReplyDelete