Wednesday, January 9, 2008

D-I-V-A

 



I left the house in a hurry this afternoon. I was running late to pick my son up from school and was having a hard time getting my daughter out the door. Her arms were full of random stuff and she Diva
refused to leave without her treasures. I did a quick scan to make sure that she wasn't holding anything living or perishable (my standards are pretty low) and scooped her up into her car seat.  My daughter was singing softly as I pulled out the driveway and it continued for the duration of the trip. She loves to sing so this is nothing unusual. Her songs, however, rarely vary. It's either the theme song to "My Friends Tigger and Pooh" or "Little Einsteins" (Are you detecting a theme here?) and I didn't recognize the one she was singing this time. I was finally able to relax when I pulled into the car line and realized that I wasn't, in fact, the last parent to arrive. Phew. Being the last parent is my personal Mom nightmare.



I turned around and looked at my daughter for the first time since we'd left the house. She was still singing. I smiled as I took her in. She had on bright purple sunglasses and her Princess tiara. She was singing what turned out to be the "Doodle Bops" theme song into a microphone that she got for Christmas. She had done all of this without any help from anyone. It was adorable and terrifying at the same time. What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is a Diva. D-I-V-A Diva!



3 comments:

  1. Must have been the cutest little diva you've ever seen!
    I'm afraid I was the last parent to arrive on a couple of humiliating occasions. My kids still don't let me forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diva's are good. Diva's grow up to be strong independent women. I hope.
    I feel asleep once when my oldest was in Kindergarten and I had just had her baby sister. My middle son's pre-school teacher called and woke me up. Now, that was embarrassing. And yep, both my kids were the LAST one's picked up that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came sliding in the door at daycare once to pick up Maggie about 3 seconds before the daycare closed. I had had a doctor's appt., then went to get groceries and got stuck in the longest checkout lanes ever. The daycare teacher had her coat on and purse in hand, and all the lights were out except for the front hall. Maggie looked at me pitifully and said, "I thought you forgot me. . "

    ReplyDelete