Friday, October 26, 2007

Femme Fatale


I have learned from experience that
anything on the TV or radio that is within earshot of my son will be heard,
pondered and internalized. This is why we don’t watch the news in my house, or
anything that might be construed as disturbing or scary. My son will hear it
and internalize it. My parents were not aware of the "no news" rule when the kids spent the night with them this weekend.



Armedrobbery
I’m not sure if he saw the entire news cast or just bits and
pieces but my son has been obsessed with an armed robbery that took place sometime
last weekend near my parent’s house. We have had a crash course in felony theft
in the Hale household this week.



What is armed robbery?



Why would someone rob
a gas station?



I didn’t know girls
could be robbers?



I wonder if that
robber lives near Grandma and Pop-Pop.



They didn’t catch her.
We’re supposed to look for her.



Since his sleepover we have seen the armed robbery suspect
no less than five times. Any woman walking along the street or standing on or
near the road is immediately thought to be the robber.



Son: There she is
Mommy. I think that’s her. Maybe we should call the police.



Me: Why do you think
that’s the robber?



Son: Because she looks
like the lady on the TV.



Me: What did the lady
look like?



Son: That (points to
suspect in question).



I have yet to find any similarities between the women that
we have identified as potential suspects other than the fact that they are all
women and they prefer walking to driving or riding the bus. Walking women of
the world, watch out! My son is onto you and your gun-wielding ways.



 





4 comments:

  1. Let's hope the real armed robber gets caught soon for the sake of your son (and you), and all the women walkers of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that he has learned to be suspicious of women on the street at an early age, to para-phrase one of your previous blogs, nothing good can come of talking to a street walker. We received the 'no news' lecture from Uncle Chris when he grew tired of trying to have all the answers for Maggie Mae. All of the Hale kids seem to have an ability to listen most when they shouldn't be, and listen least when they should. (Come to think of it, their Daddies were all that way too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when that happens. We don't watch the news around here either but we do discuss a lot of news. but stuff like robberies and other crimes just seems to give kids a warped perspective of the actual danger that they're in, so we avoid that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah - seems you have a future police officer on your hands - maybe that woman he saw was the fugitive!!! Who knows??? Are we talking reward?

    ReplyDelete