Thursday, November 8, 2007

Daylight Satan’s Time

I'm seriously considering filing a civil suit against whoever started the Daylight Saving's Time tradition. I mean, really? Would it kill us to just keep the same hours all year long? My children have morphed into insomniac meltdown machines. They have been on a nap sabbatical since the first day of DST and, by 10:30 today, my son had four all-out meltdowns under his belt. It was a delightful morning.



Daylightsavingstime2
My kids have been locked in a cycle of no sleep since Sunday morning and my parenting and, as a result, their quality of life has suffered. I am used to going to bed at 11:00 and waking up at 7:00. It works for me. This getting up at 6:00 nonsense has got to stop. Both my kids were standing two inches from my face this morning begging me for milk at 6:03 am. I walked downstairs to the refrigerator, poured them each a glass of milk and forbid them to get out of their beds until it was light outside. I did my best to remain in a semi-conscious state as I did this to maximize the potential for additional sleep. It didn't work. I watched with dread as the morning light broke outside my window and waited, clinging to the darkness, for my children to trot up the stairs.



They didn't disappoint and I knew I was in for it when my son began our first conversation of the morning with an all out tantrum. Ughhh… I wasn't ready for this. I managed to survive until mid-afternoon and then, in no uncertain terms, demanded that my children take naps. Mission accomplished! My daughter woke up three and a half hours later and my son quickly followed. I noticed that the insomniac meltdown machines that invaded my children's bodies were hanging on by a thread and I knew that we were on top of the Daylight Saving's Time hump.



Both my kids are asleep now. They went to bed at their normal time without much protest. I'm clinging to the faint hope that their sleep schedules will normalize tonight and I will not see their beautiful faces until morning has broken tomorrow.



6 comments:

  1. Good luck! Since the bus runs at 6:40 here, we're up and at 'em by 6:00. Well, we're up at least. Sometimes I go back to bed for a little while after hubby goes to work. But usually I have other stuff to do before work.
    Now as soon as it's dark, I get sleepy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to yahoo answers:
    "For the U.S. and its territories, Daylight Saving Time is NOT observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and Arizona. The Navajo Nation participates in the Daylight Saving Time policy, even in Arizona, due to its large size and location in three states."
    I submit that relocation might be in order! (as someone who lives in one of the aforementioned areas, I can tell you that it is pure bliss to NOT have to deal with stupid DST).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hhhhm. It actually is working for us over here. The kids are now TIRED at bedtime. Still in about a week I'm sure they'll have it figured out and I'll be back to bedtime battles. Then there's the teen who wants to sleep until noon, no matter what the clock says...
    Good Times

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lord have mercy! Moms are not supposed to rest. Ever. DST only reinforces that well known fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more! Thus far, there seems not to even be any sort of remotely logical explanation as to why we do this every year anyway. It is someone's idea of a sick joke I am sure of it!

    ReplyDelete