Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Red

There is a new book coming out on November 8th  by Amy Goldwasser called Red: The Next Generation of American Writers—Teenage Girls—On What Fires Up Their Lives Today. Let's be honest, the title is less than subtle and a little long but the content absolutely demands to be red. Red
I am terrified by what I might find but, for the sake of my daughter and teenage girls everywhere with something to say, I must read it.



I remember what it felt like to be a teenage girl. I remember being consumed with my social missteps and my weight and my wardrobe. I remember feeling absolute despair when my best friend stayed home from school and I had to face the day without her. We were partners in the teenage survival struggle, Heather and I. Her absence meant that I was alone and loneliness was unbearable.



Teenage girls are perhaps the most interesting creatures in the world and they are an absolute mystery unless you happen to be one of them (and even then they can be a mystery). I'm pretty sure that I would have pounced on the opportunity to publicly share my personal struggles as well as my penchants for writing as a teenager.  A sense of purpose (other than the quest to stay thin and the desperate need to piss off your parents) is something that many teenagers are severely lacking. These young writers got it and I can't wait to read what they did with it.



Bring it on teenage girls! I can take it! It might just make me a little less judgmental when I see you walking through the mall, wearing stripper-esque duds, text messaging and smacking your gum.



3 comments:

  1. Interesting.
    I'm going to give it the once over and see if it'll work for my daughter and I.
    When you get a chance to review it let me know what you think. I have a feeling I'm gonna need all the help I can get over the next few years....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self; Be sure to thank the Lord for giving me sons instead of daughters, AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh, I think this may be a must read. I remember my teenage years all to well and I would love to see how they compare to the girls today.
    Maribeth

    ReplyDelete